WASHINGTON EXAMINER: Illegal immigration has forcefully moved to the top issue in the 2020 election, with Americans declaring that it impacts their lives and that they believe migrants are abusing social welfare programs once they get into the nation.
According to a series of polls released today by Heritage Action for America, immigration was cited as the top concern of Americans, at 21 percent. By comparison, just 7 percent cited health care.
What’s more, 54 percent said illegal immigration impacts their lives.
The top concern about illegals was abuse of social programs like health care, public schools and welfare, said the surveys and analysis meant to help the GOP focus on winning 2020 messages.
Some 70% of Republicans cited abuse of social programs as the top concern, not crime or competition for jobs, a message that is not being pushed by President Trump.
In a separate analysis in Politico Magazine, Tim Chapman, executive director of Heritage Action, urged the party to fine tune its anti-immigration message. He wrote, “By focusing on crime and job losses, the party and its leaders are making the least persuasive case for border security and immigration reform. As a result, Democrats feel little public pressure to compromise on the issue, even as their presidential candidates move aggressively leftward by promising the use of social services to illegal immigrants. If politics is a game of contrast, then the GOP can play it much better.”
In citing immigration as the top issue, the Heritage Action survey parallels one from Gallup that said concerns about illegal immigration have hit the highest level ever.
The surveys also highlighted other issues conservatives are concerned about and messages that the president and GOP can tap in the 2020 election to boost support.
[Read More…] 131 views
- GOP Owns The Democrats!
- The Insane Schiff Show!
- Breaking: Former Australian Ambassador Alexander Downer Reportedly Interviewed by US Attorney Durham a Month Ago
- UK Economy: 13 Quarters of Growth Since EU Referendum
- Recession Fears Evaporate: Small Business Optimism Rises in October | Breitbart
- Schiff Blocks Witnesses!
- Nolte: Democrats Worry as Filing Deadlines Cement Weak 2020 Field
- Bill Gates Voices Concern About Elizabeth Warren’s Wealth Tax Proposal
- Democrat-Controlled Tucson Rejects Plan to be Sanctuary City
- Poll: Support for Impeachment Falls from 51% to 47% Since Mid-October